Quote

Check out Owen's new book, Gratitude: A Way of Teaching

Sunday, October 2, 2016

A Teacher's Treasure Box


The school year is well under way and things are going great for me overall with so much to be grateful for in my classroom. But I am also struggling with some new challenges. That is something probably every educator can say. Nothing will ever be perfect and if we ever achieved perfection, something would change. However, these facts keep the craft of teaching exciting and propel us to constantly adjust, refine, and grow in our quest as educators.

Recently, I was a bit overwhelmed and I dipped into my teacher “Treasure Box” where I store my keepsakes that remind me of the rewards of teaching, the letters and notes from students and parents, expressing their thanks and deep appreciation. These letters explicitly demonstrate that all the hours of toil are worth it and the seeds I am planting are taking root, spreading out and hopefully reshaping our world. Some of these letters are especially poignant when they come from students who are moving on to high school and college.

I came across the following note that I received last year and was reminded of the gifts that students give us and the spiritual nourishment we receive, when we are open to it. Here it is:

Gratitude Letter to Mr. Griffith

Mr. Griffith,

            First off, I want to say thank you. I am going into high school in a few months and I will also be moving to a new state. You were my first teacher at a new school when I came to your class in 4th grade and you have helped me tremendously. Although in the beginning I had many struggles, you helped me through everything. When I came close to giving up, you wouldn’t let me. Because of this, I persevered through the end of 8th grade.

            Having come from a school beforehand where things were much easier, there were times when I almost came home and said, “I can’t do this anymore.” I didn’t give up because I always remembered your perseverance and gratitude. Even when you weren’t anywhere to be found, you have helped me through difficult times. I came to your school completely new and had no friends here. Soon, I’ll be going through something very similar and I will make sure to always remember what you have done for me.

            It’s been four years now since I left your classroom and I have not forgotten to bring gratitude with me. Although I have lost track of daily gratitude entries, I always come up with as many things as I can when I am feeling stressed. This helps me tremendously. I have been blessed to have had you as a teacher. What you have given me is a gift, a gift that I could never thank you enough for.

Thank you,

Tim

Here is a quote to end the blog:

"Good teaching is an act of hospitality toward the young, and hospitality is always an act that benefits the host even more than the guest." - Parker Palmer

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea of a Teacher's Treasure Box and think all educators should begin filling a container with moments that touched their own and their students' hearts. Even on the best days, teaching is overwhelming. How wonderful to take a moment to reflect on our true purpose and accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Robert, teaching is overwhelming and we need to keep positive any way we can!

    ReplyDelete