Quote

Check out Owen's new book, Gratitude: A Way of Teaching

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Blog-Confession of an Author



A couple years ago, I wrote a book, and if you are reading my blog, you can see it at the top of the page. Writing that book felt like climbing Mt. Everest, but I am glad I did it, and I am still hearing how it is helping teachers. Recently, a colleague in training in Utah told me that she heard a speaker, the Utah State Teacher of the Year, say that reading my book helped her, and that implementing a gratitude list with her students transformed her high school English class.

But, just when I thought I had made this big accomplishment, life reminded me to stay humble (which leads to more gratitude for me). Here are a couple little anecdotes that I found amusing.
The local library purchased my book and put it in their collection. I took my son, who was 7 at the time, to the library and walked down the aisle and asked, “What would you think if Daddy’s book was in this library?” I wanted to surprise him. His eyes lit up and he said, “Really Daddy-that would be so cool.” So, I found my book, pulled it out and showed it to him. He looked at it and said, “You get the award for having the most boring book in this library. Next time, don’t write about gratitude, write about Super-Heroes.” I laughed so hard! I did show him that his name was in the dedication in the book, and finally he was impressed. In hindsight, I should have told him, “My book is about Super-Heroes; it’s about teachers.” Nothing could be truer.

Recently, they featured local authors at the library (I go to my local library too much). I was walking past the display and saw a woman pick up my book and leaf through it. I had to smile and hold back the urge to say, “That is my book, do you know how much work I put into it?” But, I just walked by and let her peruse it. I have to admit that I was disappointed when I saw her put it back and move on to another book. I should have stopped and talked to her.

Finally, I ran across a gentleman last week who had come to one of my talks and brought a book a couple years ago. He came up to me with a smile and said, “I bought one of you books a couple years ago… Can I have my money back?” I had to laugh, but it all ended in a positive way. He had brought it for a friend who was a teacher, and she was gone. However, he ended up deciding to donate my book to a local school. So, whatever comes your way, keep everything in perspective, and take it with a large dose of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment