Quote

Check out Owen's new book, Gratitude: A Way of Teaching

Saturday, May 10, 2014

First Post

Hello everyone!

I am now in the digital age as I start this blog.  I am a teacher and I wanted to start a conversation about teaching and using spirituality to teach and live.  Now, spirituality is one of those words that sometimes carries baggage, so I will just define it as "that which gives meaning to one's life and draws one to transcend oneself."  In more common terms, spirituality may be thought of as the things we do that nourish our souls, which feed us from the inside.

Teaching and living take so much from us, we need to find ways to restore and rejuvenate mentally, physically, and most importantly, spiritually.  The teachers who not only survive but thrive through all the pressures of teaching are the ones that find ways to nourish themselves spiritually.  Once, I had a Principal that said at our first faculty meeting, "The year is about to get real stressful.  I hope you have a strong spiritual life."

I recently submitted an article in Teacher's Net Gazette's about utilizing gratitude in the classroom.  It will be published in the June 2014 edition.  Gratitude is a great example of using spirituality in the classroom.  I will post the entire article on this site later. 

Simple put, gratitude is one of the most powerful spiritual tools; looking at everything that is positive in life and watching it grow stronger and larger.  What we focus on in life grows, so when I am thankful, I see the positive grow.  Conversely, when I focus on the negative, that aspect of life grows.  Keeping a gratitude journal ensure that I look for the good in myself, others, and life.  Gratitude enables me to enjoy everyday, no matter what happens in the day.  My students and I keep a list of 5 things we are grateful for every day and have 1,000 gratitudes at the end of the year.  It bring so much sunlight into my classroom, we can't help but feel the positive effects.

Also, I want this conversation to be about living and the practical tools we can share to help grow in a world where time and resources often seem scarce.  Using these tools has helped me to enjoy teaching and enjoy life, instead of just treading water.

I will post at least once a week and I would love to get feedback from you.

Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

  1. Ownen, great idea, both inspiring to read and also to know someone who cares enough to take the time out of his busy day to share on this subject with others. So unselfish, I'm inspired to pass it on to others whom I believe will be grateful to know about this blog. I've known about your practice in the classroom of writing 5 things each day you and your students are grateful for now a lot more people will know about this, it's benefits and more. Thanks, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen it in action and understand the students are paying it forward to their families. Wonderful ripples of Wonder and Awe.

    ReplyDelete