Quote

Check out Owen's new book, Gratitude: A Way of Teaching

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Smiling at the End of the School Year

Yesterday was the last day of our school year.  I celebrate surviving and mostly thriving through my 9th year in the classroom.  Every school year seems like a combination of a marathon race and a roller coaster ride, if you can combine those two things.  A couple years ago, as my students were bickering toward the end of the year, I said, “You two get along; don’t make me pull this car over.”  That broke the tension and made us all laugh.  I realized that the school year is sometimes like a long ride in a car.  At the start, everyone is friends, but by the end, everyone is getting on each other’s nerves. In my classroom, we write each other friendly letters, practicing our writing and telling each other how much we appreciate each other.  I start this after spring break, when we need to build class morale.

Now that we are on the other side of the finish line of the school year, exhausted but hopefully satisfied, this is a time to celebrate, reflect and refine out teaching.  In my class, the wonderful parents and students made a book, with each student answering two questions:
1. What did you enjoy about this year?
2.  What makes Mr. Griffith such a great teacher?
One girl wrote that what makes me a great teacher is that I spent two weeks to teach her long division and would not let her give up.  Now, I don’t remember that, but it sure feels good to read that, as I stand panting at the finish line of this marathon race of a year.  It is encouraging to know that I helped her not give up and even learn some new skills on the way.  Also, I know my students and colleagues helped me when the marathon race seemed too much.

Another student wrote that what makes me a great teacher is that I light stuff on fire.  This is true but should not be taken out of context.  I am a certified science teacher and thoroughly trained in safely performing experiments.  With that said, nothing gets the kiddos attention like lighting something on fire.  (Check online about lighting money on fire without it burning up.) One student wrote that she started the year not interested in science but ended the year loving science and wanting to know more.  That statement makes the long and exhausting school year well worth it.

As I read through the book they presented me, my heart was touched again and again.  This is a book to keep for the low points in the school year.  One girl wrote that she wanted me as a teacher so much that she couldn't sleep the night before the first day of school.  When I am reminded how much I mean to some students, it helps me feel how important my job is and what a tremendous opportunity I have to connect and guide these students through the journey of education.

At the end of the book, the parents got together and they answered the two questions.  One said, “You are a special teacher because you lead the students by example by teaching and living gratitude.’  Another parent said that the balance of discipline and fun makes a successful classroom.  I agree and try to give the students love and boundaries, focusing on the positive.  I was encouraged to read that a parent wrote, “Mr. Griffith gives of his heart to the students and makes them feel important by honoring them individually.”  I think that you should connect with a student’s heart before challenging their brains.

One final reflection concerns an area I am trying to improve upon every year, listening, really listening.  Most school days are so busy with many tasks to undertake simultaneously that it is sometimes difficult to give individual students my sustained attention and really listen to them.  But, this is important.  I had discipline problems with one student until I figured out they just needed me to start the day by giving them a couple minutes of my undivided attention, listening deeply to them.  These kind of rewards appear when I give of myself. 

One tool I use to help get the time to listen to students is I give each student a “conference” at least once a month.  This only takes a couple minutes.  In the conference, I tell them one thing they are doing well and something they could work on.  In addition, I ask them if there is anything I can help them with.  When I started this, I was surprised how many students took this opportunity to tell me something I could help them with.  I would have never learned this without this little extra effort. 


Another tool that I learned from my partner teacher is to give students a “birthday lunch.”  This means they get to bring a friend up to the classroom and eat with me on their birthday.  During these 25 minutes, I ask them what is going on in their lives and sit back and listen.  I am always rewarded for this investment of time.  One student told me that his “birthday lunch” was his favorite part of the entire school year.  

Here is a quote to end the blog:
"Good teaching is an act of hospitality toward the young, and hospitality is always an act that benefits the host even more than the guest." - Parker Palmer

1 comment:

  1. How cool that your class has chosen to create this unique book of memories

    I love the Parker Palmer quote....thinking of your classroom in terms of both hospitality and community elevates it above the utilitarian view that so dominates us with our restricted views of the measurable outcomes we place as our goals

    Perhaps, teaching children about hospitality and community in their classroom experience will allow these lessons to multiply into the many lives your students touch...

    And in these touches of hospitality perhaps we move in transcendence toward what is timeless and eternal yet somehow always new...

    ReplyDelete