Quote

Check out Owen's new book, Gratitude: A Way of Teaching

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Spirituality of Storytelling-Part 3

First of all, Happy Holidays to everyone. This time of year can be crazy, but try to enjoy this time of year and find something to be grateful for.
As the end of the year quickly approaches, I have been reflecting on this year and it has been a fantastic year with so much growth. One of the biggest parts of growth this year has been writing this blog. I started in May and I have really enjoyed posting and getting comments. Many conversations have started here that I have learned from and still enjoy immensely. I thought this would be a lot of work, but it has been a pleasure. Thank you for all support and encouragement.
One interesting thing for me was to look at all the things I have posted this year and see how often posts are viewed. The one post that was visited much more than the others was my post on Storytelling is Spiritual #1, where I wrote about my favorite story to tell the students,“The House Builder.” If you haven’t read that, go back and check it out, it is short yet powerful.
As I reflected on that story, I thought about the second favorite story to tell the students, along the same lines of the “The House Builder” called “The Cocoon.” These stories hold special power and I save them for Friday afternoons in our classroom. The students are always riveted. When teaching, I look up and often find about half the class looking at me, but when I tell these stories, every student is looking at me intently. There is power in these stories on so many levels. So, here is the story:
“The Cocoon”
"As a woman was walking down the street, she noticed a little white circular object on the sidewalk. She stopped to inspect it and found it was a cocoon. Holding it gently, she could see the little butterfly vigorously trying to get out. This excited her and she suddenly realized that she could help this butterfly gain its freedom. So, she pulled out some nail clippers she had in her purse. Carefully and meticulous, she made a very precise incision around the outside of the chrysalis. Then, she gently laid it down and stood back, ready to see the butterfly get out of the cocoon and happily fly away. Sure enough, the next time the butterfly moved its wings, the cocoon opened and the woman saw a spectacular yellow tiger swallowtail butterfly. She couldn’t help but smile as she gazed at this creature she had just helped gain its freedom.
However, when it tried to fly away, it couldn’t get off the ground. A couple times, it flipped on its back and the woman tried to flip it back over, hoping it would get air born soon. But, after about 10 minutes, it stopped moving and died. The woman was crushed. She had been trying to help, but now felt she had somehow killed the butterfly. Picking up the creature, she went home quickly and called her friend who was a biologist. Relating the story, she asked, “Did I kill it?” He replied that yes, she had killed it inadvertently by letting it out of its cocoon too soon. He went on to say that butterflies need to strengthen their wings fully in the effort to break out of the cocoon. Also, in the process of working their way out of the cocoon, they are getting the needed blood supply to their wings to enable them to fly and survive. This made her feel a little better as she understood her part in the process."
I ask the students what this story means. One student said that it means you should not mess with nature or try to speed up the natural flow of life. I like that. Others say that we grow strong from the struggles in life. I like that even more. I go on to tell the students that as a teacher, I am not helping them by letting them out of their cocoons too soon. For example, if they are struggling with a new concept in math and ask for an answer to a problem, it would be easy for me to give it to them. Instead, I need to let them struggle and help their wings get stronger. In our classroom, we even use those words, “I can’t do that because that would be like letting you out of your cocoon too early.”
Personally, I know sometimes I still want someone to come let me out of my cocoon when I am fighting to break free of some problem in life. But, I know that many times my “wings” need to get stronger. When I reflect on the struggle, I often ask, "'What should I be learning here?" Maybe the lesson is to be more patient or persistent. Sometimes, I need to remember that life doesn't always have to get easier. Often, I just need to keep growing stronger. If I focus on the lesson I am learning in life, I don’t need to have someone come and set me free, I am already free.
Humorous Christmas Quote:
“There are four ages of man:
(1) When you believe in Santa Claus.
(2) When you don't believe in Santa Claus.
(3) When you are Santa Claus.
(4) When you look like Santa Claus.”

- Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment